Afdhel Aziz is a speaker, writer and award-winning marketer who has worked for brands such as Procter & Gamble, Heineken, Nokia and Absolut, where he most recently created and ran Absolut Labs, that was praised by Forbes as 'one of Top 3 marketing innovation labs to emulate.'
One of the world's leading experts on brand purpose, he is the co-author of the book Good is the New Cool: Market Like You Give a Damn which explores how brands like Warby Parker, The Honest Company and Zappos attract loyal customers through their mission of ‘doing well by doing good’ - and also retain the best talent by helping employees find meaningfulness in their work.
He is currently Founder and Chief Creative Officer at Conspiracy of Love, a think-tank and idea incubator that helps Fortune 500 companies 'make money AND do good by harnessing the power of culture and technology.'
He has been a featured speaker at the Cannes Lions, SXSW, TEDx, Advertising Week, The Gathering, the Chief Digital Officer Conference: Silicon Valley, Columbia University and many more.
As an award-winning marketer he is also an expert on how brands can deliver cutting-edge campaigns, content and experiences that harness technology and popular culture, having worked with world-class artists such as Lady Gaga, Deadmau5 and Kanye West, as well as diverse partners like the TED Conferences, Art Basel, Coachella Festival, and the Andy Warhol Foundation.
Examples of his work include Absolut Reality, the world’s first live streamed virtual reality concert; Absolut Deadmau5, a groundbreaking video game with electronic music superstar Deadmau5; and Absolut Open Canvas, which transformed entire city blocks in Brooklyn and San Francisco into contemporary art installations.
He has a Masters Degree in Media and Communications from the London School of Economics, and an BA Honors Degree in English Literature from King's College London.
"Afdhel's session at The Gathering on how brands can be a force for good blew the audience away with it's mix of provocative thinking, honesty and humor. Was one of the best received sessions of the year."
– Greg Damus, Managing Director, The Gathering
“What I love about Afdhel is the way he draws people in. I keep asking him to speak at my storytelling seminar because his warmth and enthusiasm are so infectious you just can’t help but be engaged.”
—Frank Rose, Columbia Digital Storytelling Lab
Afdhel is also a prolific writer and journalist. He is the co-author of 'Good is the New Cool: Market Like You Give a Damn' (Regan Arts, 2016) , a provocative manifesto for a bold new model of marketing, which helps brands become a force for good.
"We were so thrilled and honored that Afdhel and Bobby kicked-off our A&M Series. They did a phenomenal job inspiring and educating our audience and have joined the many legends like David Ogilvy and Donny Deutsch that have presented at our club before."
– Cathryn Gonyo, The Advertising Club of NY
This book reveals how brands can unleash the potential of a revolutionary new model: 'How to Make Money and Do Good, by Harnessing the Power of Cool' with 7 key principles:
1. Know Your Purpose (A.K.A. know what you give a damn about): Purpose is the new fifth ‘P’ in Marketing.
2. Find Your Allies: Brands, culture creators and non-profits should collaborate in ways that ‘make money, and do good, by harnessing the power of cool’.
3. Think ‘Citizens’ not ‘Consumers’: Brands should think about people in a way that is ‘Transformational’ not ‘Transactional’.
4. Lead with the Cool but Bake in the Good: Socially impactful brands need to use the power of cool (great design, great story) to inspire people.
5. Don’t Advertise, Solve Problems: Brands should create physical and digital experiences that live at the ‘intersection of useful and delightful’.
6. People are the New Media: If you create something amazing, you generate the holy grail of all marketers – word-of-mouth recommendation.
7. Back Up the Promise with the Proof: Make sure you back up your words with actions.